Wednesday, November 24, 2004

On poetry and redundancy

I came to IITD in the afternoon today, wearing a nice kurta, a pair of jeans, and having gelled my hair nicely together. In short, I thought I looked, if I may say so myself, rather natty in this unusual attire. Thinking so, I proudly walked into class, with my head held high. Imagine my feelings when I heard, instead of the applause and praise I had expected, laughs and giggles. As I stood there, I was aware that I was being called curious names by my friends, who are rather unused to seeing me dressed in such a way. One chap called me Netaji, while another addressed me as Devdas. One fellow went as far as to say that I looked like a poet.
Now I have nothing against poets per se. It's just that I don't happen to be one. I am no good at poetry. I can't write in verse. In other words, I do not have the ability to string together words into a poem that quite a few of my colleagues possess. I am but a novice when it comes to poetry. I am sure my readers get the gist of what I am saying.
That is not to say that I like the fact that I cannot write poetry. I detest my inability to express myself in verse. I also detest the fact that inspite of years of trying, the art of poetry still continues to elude me. I think myself to be an articulate young man. I have never as yet in my life felt what can be loosely described as 'being at a loss for words.' I can speak pretty well, and, subject to the tolerance of my audience, sing reasonably well. I find no reason why I should be so rudely barred from entering the world of poetry.
As I have touched on before, I have tried my hand at poetry. Not once, but many times have I made an effort to think like a poet. However, except for managing a few sets of disjoint rhyming sentences, I have not achieved much success. Allow me to present a few of my better compositions.

Going out on wintry mornings is bold,
If not careful, one might catch a cold.

Don't seem to fancy that? Try another one.

When traveling in an auto, I always take care,
That the driver never gets more than the appropriate fare.

Here's another one of my literary gems:

Here's the most obvious thing one ever thought,
I am me, and you are not.

See what I mean when I say I am not a poet. I am sure that I have managed to convince my readers about the verity of the fact that when it comes to poetry, I am not the person to consult. After posting this blog entry, I feel that my word on this matter will never be doubted. The bylanes of the city, I think, will be abuzz with whisperings, "Manu Saxena is not one of poetic disposition." I hope that my readers will realize that I am not a person with a poetic bent of mind, and when they hear something contrasting this fact, they will vehemently oppose it. I hope that my blog entry will encourage my readers to help me in dispelling queer notions about me currently prevalent in society.
With that hope, I bid all my readers a very pleasant adieu. For it is getting late, and I have Applied Mechanics to do.

7 Comments:

Blogger Karan said...

Agreed. Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz writes better poetry than you.

12:49 pm, November 24, 2004  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

I hate all comments that have a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy backgrund.

1:08 pm, November 24, 2004  
Blogger Ménk said...

Mind u manu i didn't call u names, but just joined in the hooting triggered by the 1 and only Sandy

4:09 am, November 25, 2004  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Who's Sandy? Karan?

6:45 am, November 25, 2004  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Is that Mayank? And Sandy is Aseem. Right?
I think I know whats going on here. Aseem's giving me free publicity.

Yay

6:50 am, November 25, 2004  
Blogger pree2cool said...

your poetic disability troubles you..think of someONE instead of someTHING and then try your hand at it..it might just work...and i'm pretty sure who you could have in mind!...hehe, cya

3:57 pm, December 02, 2004  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Preeti, if you are thinking of the someONE I think you are thinking of, then think again. Things have changed. Oh yes, things have changed.

4:46 pm, December 02, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home