Thursday, December 09, 2004

Back to school

I went to school yesterday with a few friends of mine. It was a nice trip, except for the fact that it being almost end of term for the tenth and the twelfth classes, none of the teachers or students had much time for us.

This is how an average conversation between us and a teacher went.
Manu Saxena:"Good Morning ma'am."
Teacher:"Hello Manu. How wonderful to see you in school. No college today?"
MS:"No ma'am. My semester ended a few days back, and we have holidays now."
Teacher:"Oh, how lovely. I have class now, see you later."

This is what an average conversation with a student sounded like.
Manu Saxena:"Aur, kaisa hain?"
Student:"Theek hoon. Bye."

There were only two teachers in school who were ready to give us any time at all. So we ended up spending almost all of our 4 hours in school with them. We attended a couple of classes with these teachers, and I had quite a bit of fun, interacting with them and their classes. We even helped one class pick out a topic for their class assembly, although I later heard that as soon as we left the room, the topic was instantly and unanimously vetoed.
What came as a surprise was that I hardly saw any of the students from the current class XII batch, many of whom I know. I did see Mr. Karan Misra and Mr. Maanick Nangia though, both presidents of Exun. They were in a state of deep mourning because the sudden anouncement of a set of pre-preboards has dashed their hopes of participating in the last two computer symposia of the year. My heartfelt sympathies to both of them.
It was nice being in school. The most important thing I noticed is that inspite of the recent unfortunate incident, things have not changed much. The school and its students remain pretty much the same. The only difference is that rules, which always existed, are now being enforced a bit more strictly, which is good in a way. Another difference that I noticed is that during working periods, you don't see many students loitering around in the halls anymore. Considering that till last year, half the school used to be out in the corridors at any given time, this is a great improvement.
I am sure the students feel a bit resentful about the new severity in enforcing rules, as I am sure I would have, had I still been in school. But all in all, the situation has not changed much. The discipline has undoubtedly improved, and hopefuly will continue to improve, but the average DPS RK Puram student is much the same, which I think is a good thing. The last thing I want to happen is DPS students losing their Dipsiteness, their uniqueness, their ability to be individualistic and stand out in a crowd. When I went to school yesterday, I found this Dipsiteness intact, and something gave me the feeling that DPS will probably come out of this mess stronger, and without much damage.
After school, I went to Reliance Web-World for a while, and once again ended up playing games that involved lots of mindless shooting. This Reliance Web-World thing is becoming quite a habit. Now, every 3-4 days, I have this compulsive urge to take part in mindless blood and gore, to release all my pent up frustration with life in general. What I am worried about is that this unhealthy compulsion is putting an undue amount of pressure on the funds I have set aside for these holidays.
My grades will come out in another hour or so, and something tells me that I am probably going to end up at Reliance Web-World this evening as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger pree2cool said...

i envy you..i am like dying to visit school! heard you met my fav teacher!???:P...well, gud to know that not much has changed! any idea when school closes for winter break, and when they reopen again? let me know if you could find out...thanks.
so, how did u do on your exams???

7:07 pm, December 09, 2004  
Blogger Maanick said...

tell me one thing are there technology symposia at college levels???

7:33 am, December 10, 2004  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Maanick, could you please tell Preeti when the school vacations start and when they finish.

And as for your question, there are tech. fests in college, but they are fewer in number. This is for the obvious reason that only tech. colleges can participate in them. Debating and quizzing competitions are organised by colleges with much more frequency.

9:57 am, December 10, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home