Saturday, July 30, 2005

The inescapable truth

Hej!

The holidays have ended. A new semester has begun. I am now officially a 2nd year student. Classes began a couple of days back. And, very frankly, I am a bit surprised about the fact that I have no idea how I feel about all of these recent developments.


The past few days have left me confused. Very confused. Till about a week back, I was sure about my reaction towards going back to IIT after a (very) long break. I was sure I was going to feel sad and dissatisfied and immensely unhappy about going through another 4 months of uninterrupted torture at a place I have, over the past year, come to strongly dislike. I was angry and irritated about the imminent end of the vacations. I was filled with dread at the prospect of attending never-ending lecture classes in the ominous-looking main building. I was filled with even more dread at the prospect of worrying about grades and marks all over again. Still more dread filled me when I thought about walking once again among people who were never more comfortable than when talking about the latest difficult Kinematics problem. And more than all of that, I was dreading the prospect of being addressed as an IC as I walked down long, seemingly endless, corridors.

But that was a week ago. Very surprisingly, as the day college was scheduled to reopen came closer, my angst and frustration were slowly replaced by very mixed feelings about my return to IIT. It is true that I never, at any point of time, actually looked forward to attending IIT again, like I used to do when school was involved, but I distinctly remember moments of uncertainty, when I remember feeling not all that bad about going back to IIT as I would have myself believe.

The last two days have done nothing to help me make up my mind. I remain as uncertain as ever. My feelings of ambivalence have, in fact, augmented since the day college reopened. If I was undecided about my feelings towards IIT at the time college reopened, I'm downright confused now. On the one hand, I am, after a gap of more than two and a half months, once again seriously contemplating suicide as an option. However, on the other hand, contrary to whatever I may have said earlier, and in spite of all the magnetic darts and brief newspaper appearances, I have to admit that the just concluded holidays have been a bit more boring than I had expected them to be. I can't really say I'm happy to be back at IIT, because I'm not, but saying I'm unhappy would just be an uncharitable lie.

Which brings me to a peculiar and rather upsetting conclusion that emerges logically from the above given facts. I have no idea when or how this happened, but for better or for worse, IITD and some of the people I know here have become an important part of my life. And nothing I might do or say, including bitching about IIT on this blog to keep it up and running, can change that.

I had intended to make this post a lot longer. I had intended it to be an introspective post telling everybody (myself included) what I thought about my holidays. I had also intended it to be a detailed account of the past two days, wherein I was supposed to write about the as-boring-as-ever classes, the as-weird-as-ever professors, a revamped CSC, a delightful couple of hours I recently spent in the Nilgiri Music Room, and a very interesting freshers'-quiz, but the philosophical implications of what I have just written have left me a bit dazed, and I don't much feel like writing any more.
So screw you guys, I'm going home.

22 Comments:

Blogger The Reader said...

WaddaFuck (excuse me, just felt like saying it, and more importantly spelling it like that), CSC has been revamped !
Also, how 'interesting' was the freshers' quiz?

1:56 pm, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

You Bastard!
A fresher's quiz, and you didn't as much as tell me.

3:48 pm, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Aidoneus, the CSC has been revamped. It has now got new computers. Lots of new computers. And all with LCD monitors.
Just how 'interesting' the freshers' quiz was, you'll get to know when you read my next post.

Bhavya, they were just the prelims. And seeing they were only for IITD fachchas, I don't really see what good would have come of it even if I had told you.

5:05 pm, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

waise yaar manu
collez is not so bad after all
infact if u remove the lecture n minor majors, its amazing...

12:30 pm, July 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does hej!! mean?????
Is Indian Institute of torture getting to you??? hehehehehe

12:41 pm, August 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!you're an IIT student?which branch?

1:45 pm, August 02, 2005  
Blogger Ménk said...

hey papadas!!
plz try understanding some basic stuff!! u r sooo lame.

1:49 pm, August 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Menk...PEACE let this war END...!!
Im sorry if my rematks abt u uchaaloing hurt you!!!
RESPECT!!!
I aint no troll!!

3:44 pm, August 02, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

yaar papadas
i could tell from ur lang that either ur an iitian or an obsessed aspirant

in any case why r u ashamed to give out ur real name ???

for eg.
mr. first middle last

oh ya menk.. thanks for the info about papadas being lame..
i have a spare set of baisaakhees if u need 1(i got one when one of my frndz called me lame 2.. he told me later he was mazaaking so i dont use it now)

8:14 pm, August 02, 2005  
Blogger Ménk said...

hey mani. where have u been?? haven't seen u this sem at all!

2:01 pm, August 03, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

:( im a very patient guy...

patient as in the doctor wala

yaar i got typhoid and i havent stepped outta me house since 19 days now..

i might be visible on monday

2:59 pm, August 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chee Mani(I dont want to call you red coloured blahblahblah
blahblahblahddyhfjhbsd) I hope you get well soon...And yes I dont mind one of those baisakhee's!!!BTW for all of you who wanted to know my real name.....its Papadas Chatopadhayay!!

4:12 pm, August 03, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

so ur not in iitd...

4:27 pm, August 03, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!you're an IIT student?which branch?


You got a fan.

(shakes head in dismay)

5:08 pm, August 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No...I just seem to
know some lingo.... haha

11:02 am, August 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what shit happens?

5:14 am, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ae laundon mera blog padho! I love IIT, I love you, I love mech. I want to be DR1...I want to meet my papadas


p.s I miss you anirudh.

5:18 am, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MUMMY PAPPA AAP AA GAYE!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY(Runs towards them and gives a bear hug)...On second thoughts MUMMY (papa ki wife!!)What is that sorry excuse for a blog that has been put up???
take it down and then burn your PC and then Eat it!!!

2:12 pm, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

manu dude
whats happenin on ur blog ?

2:18 pm, August 05, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

What the fuck ?
Why is some jackass using my blog URL to spam on your blog. Also, where have you been?

4:10 pm, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Ménk said...

manu dude. ur blog's a BIIIIG mess now. sorry if i had a part in it.

4:21 pm, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Menk you had a BIIIIG part...and for the smal teeny part I played I am sorry!!

6:56 am, August 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home