Monday, August 15, 2005

Where's my Bush?

Note to readers: I am an apolitical person. This is an apolitical blog. This post shall, therefore, make no reference to a certain Mr. George W. Bush. All of you who have been misled by the post-title, and are expecting a post that describes, in meticulous detail, Mr. Bush's unique existence on this planet, are advised to leave. For you shall not get what you seek here. I would like to say, however, that my reserving comment on Mr. Bush does, in no way, mean that he isn't as big a blundering buffoon as he is universally acknowledged to be.

Curiously enough, this post is about MEP 201, or more precisely, Mechanical Engineering Drawing, the most exasperating course ever designed to be a part of any curriculum anywhere.

Those who view this blog regularly (Losers!!) will know that I have spoken about MEP 201 before. Still, I feel I must refresh everyone's memory before I proceed further.

The story thus far: MEP 201 sucks. All the teachers are sicksadistic bastards. And they use fresh wax on the slanting tables before each class to make them as slippery as possible. They shall rot in hell. Every last one of 'em.

And now to continue: Mechanical Engineering Drawing, or MEP 201 is a pathetic and painful 4-credit course. It has one lecture class every week that takes place on Tuesday, and one practical class every week that takes place on Monday. We are given Tutorial-sheets during lectures, and we are supposed to draw what the sheets tell us to draw during the practicals. What's sad is that there is almost a one week gap between the lectures and practicals, and since one week is enough time to lose the average Tutorial-sheet twenty-eight times over, most of us reach the practicals without the faintest idea of what we have to do. The fact that the professor taking the course is, like most professors at IIT, an utter ass who refuses to give out spares in case Tutorial-sheets get lost doesn't really help. What really gets to me, however, is the fact that he takes attendance as if we're all prison inmates. He addresses us by numbers ('Quaidi number 746' types) rather than names. The ass calls me 495. 495. Can you believe it. 495 is like the worst number ever. Just my luck to get stuck with it.

But the professor notwithstanding, lecture classes are just about tolerable. They last only an hour, and can be spent sleeping/awake depending on one's own personal preferences, and one's distance from the professor. The practicals, on the other hand, are four hours long. 4 friggin' hours long. And we have to stand through them. Not sit. Stand. For 4 hours. And the work to be done in 4 hours is roughly the work an average man does in a lifetime. So unless you stay sharp and spend every minute with your nose glued to the drawing-sheet, you will, in all probability, be unable to finish your work, and you'll get no marks for that particular practical. Even if you do manage to stay sharp and spend every minute with your nose glued to the drawing-sheet, you will still, in all probability, be unable to finish your work, but that is a risk you must run. The only guaranteed and sure-shot method to finish the work in 4 hours is to ensure you sit next to Mr. Mridul Ganesh, in which case you have to merely copy measurements and deal with the waxed desks.

And dealing with the waxed desks is no mean job. For everything slips. Pencils slip. Pens slip. Protractors and set-squares slip. Tapes and sharpeners slip. Even erasers slip.
And then there are the compasses. And since compasses rain like cats and dogs on precious body organs, and miss only narrowly each time, one does not, fairly understandably, look forward, with infinite eagerness, to the next MEP 201 practical class.

But that's not the worst part. Not by far. The worst part is the embarrassing questions people ask. "Can I see your bush?", they ask hopefully, and seeing me shrink in horror and disgust, they add, somewhat helpfully, "Only a brief glance, I promise. I won't take long." And they say it so naturally and unhesitatingly, you'd think it was their birth-right.
The first time I was asked that, I, like any other sane and self-respecting person would have done, flatly refused, at which the requester had merely shrugged nonchalantly and had moved on to the person sitting next to me, who, I have a feeling, had readily obliged, for I saw the two of them walking together, laughing loudly, immediately after the class.
I would have forgotten all about the incident, but the questions just kept coming, and the fifth one, if I remember correctly, set me thinking. "What's with everyone?", I thought to myself, "Why the sudden fascination?" And that was when it hit m. As I stared at the assembly components I had drawn (shabbily, I might add), thinking hard, I suddenly saw the light. I looked for my Tutorial-sheet, for it alone had the power to confirm my beliefs, and sure enough, s I looked at it, there they were, the small and poorly-Xeroxed letters I was looking for: COMPONENT 7: BUSH.
After this, every time someone asked me if they could take a look at 'my bush', I, being the person I am, went into a 20 minute-long, hysterical, laughing fit, five minutes into which the requester merely shrugged nonchalantly and moved on to the person sitting next to me. I, in the deal, spent most of my practical class laughing, taking brief breaks only to dodge falling compasses and to hurriedly copy Mridul's work.

But today is the 15th of August. Today is our Independence Day. And I am feeling uncharacteristically patriotic, for today is also a Monday, and I am tremendously happy. Happy that our great nation won her independence just when she did, which enabled, 58 years later, a boy named Manu Saxena to celebrate the day in its true spirit, by proclaiming freedom from an MEP 201 practical that would have otherwise taken place as on every Monday, and freedom from being asked embarrassing questions, that would have undoubtedly been asked during it, and freedom from dependence on Mridul to complete drawings and assignments, albeit for a day (I have MEL 211 to catch up on before tomorrow afternoon).
But most importantly, I thank this day for allowing me the opportunity to keep my genitals safe and impalement-free. For another whole week.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

badiya hai bete
lage raho... bush vush etc

(MD is the sole reason which makes me hate mech engg. btw)

6:17 pm, August 15, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

3 credits B****, 3 freakin meazly credits.

6:41 pm, August 15, 2005  
Blogger Ménk said...

MANNHUUUS! it is just 3 credits!! which now makes me think whether it is worth spending 4 hours in that hell of a place, standing, damaging your brain continuously, than to just copy from the ever supportive Dhawal.

8:39 am, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Abhinav Sharma said...

first, it is 3 credits.
Secondly,ur comments about the prof just echo my feelings towards him too. Once i sat through his class without an attendance coz the maniac just came into the room amongst all mayhem, and suddenly out of the blue called up 467 , a nano second later he moved on to 471, without anyone of us realisng that the guy was taking the attendance. Unfortunately I was 467, and I lost my attendace that day coz of " not being attentive in the class. ". Although I am quite sure that I would have echoed ur sentiments about him even without this little incident taking place , but this was the icing on the cake.
And if somebody wants to know each and everything about MEP201 they can contact Mr Shaurya Gupta, for whom this course hall remain etched in his memeory as long as he lives and may be even after that.
PS: Shaurya got a C- in the course.
And he too, like me did not get attendance in one lecture, being "non attentive in class."

1:19 pm, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

Heppy Budday Kiddo!

5:24 am, August 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! That was really funny. You reminded me of the engineering drawing classes back in my IIT days!

5:44 am, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Enough already. So I said 3 credits instead of 4. Big deal. The amount of work I put into it, it seems more like 5.

Abhinav, I shall make it a point to exchange views with Mr. Shaurya Gupta on the topic of MEP 201.

TT, thanks. I appreciate it.

5:25 pm, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

So I said 3 credits instead of 4.

Umm....no you did not. You said quite the opposite actually.

(you gonna whack me with a dhaastar now?)

7:46 pm, August 20, 2005  
Blogger shaurya vaani said...

although i m a bit late now but cant help.....saw ur blog 4 the first time.well as far as mep201 goes,my friend i can really frm deep inside my heart symathise and empathise with u.it was the course which ripped me apart to the fullest nd really brought my whole enthusiasm towards increasing my cgpa towards a permanent halt.i had scored the lowest in the whole department in the first minor(13/100).u know wat.........it was the 12th practical of this course when our grp came to know tht the person who sits in our class was a proff(A ray) who was assigned to help us during our pracs.u cannot really imagine the state of helpness i used to be in during the minors nd pracs of this course.our proff chawla sucked like nything.nd finally when majors came,when i had lost all hopes but then surprisingly i found the paper pretty descent nd according to me did farely well in it.so was expecting B- in this course.but the day grades came it was all over for me.tht bloody chawla had given me C- by 0.26 marks after i had finally scored 53.76.adding to this the agony of missing the A(wud hav been my first A)in EEL101 by 0.5 marks.

my cg dropped below 8.it was all over nd its still all over for me.

3:32 pm, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home