Monday, February 28, 2005

Where do your loyalties lie?

In the course of the last two days, about twenty people have asked me who I am going to vote for. In most cases, although I seriously thought it was none of their business, I responded by saying that I was probably going to vote for the BJP. This response was, however, almost invariably, met with puzzled looks and confused smiles. I say almost invariably because there were a couple of instances when my answer induced nothing but sympathy and pity from the person who had asked me that. They looked down at me magnanimously, as if I was a child, unaware of the going-ons of the world. It was only after I explicitly asked one of them what exactly he was asking me for, did I find out what exactly everybody had been asking me for. I now know that these people were not asking me about my political inclinations. They are merely asking me whether I am going to vote for Abhijeet Sawant, or Amit Sana.

So who am I going to vote for, you might want to ask, besides the BJP, of course. The answer is simple. I am going to vote for none of them, because of the simple reason that I am yet to see either one of them actually perform. I have not, I confess, been following Indian Idol with much enthusiasm. And therefore, I have no answer to the question of who I am going to vote for. I, however, feel nothing but remorse and regret for not watching Indian Idol earlier. When vigorous discussions and debates about who is going to be the next (or is it the first?) Indian Idol are going on all about me, I feel hopelessly left out. So decide where your loyalties lie, ladies and gentlemen, and do it now, for being left out isn't exactly the most enjoyable thing in the world.

Besides that, not much has been happening. I recently wrote a loooong article (4 A4 sized sheets, at font size 11) for the IIT magazine, on 'What IIT has taught me'. It is, by far, one of the crappiest articles I have ever written, and I am hoping it gets rejected by the editors, for it has the potential to cause me much embarrassment. I intended it to be a witty article, but midway I ran out of funny things to write, and it abruptly turned into a serious article, and in the end, managed to be neither in its totality.

I watched bits and pieces of 'Bride and Prejudice' a couple of days back, on TV. It is, to put it rather bluntly, a worthless movie. I couldn't watch more than the first hour. What I did like about the movie, however, was the actress who played Ms. Rai's youngest sister. I don't know her name, but I do know that in the movie, she was called, for some strange reason, Lucky. She was, according to me, the best thing about the movie, and here's why.

My experience with girls (or 'the babes', as one of my close friends calls them), limited as it might be, tells me that there are many of them who are hot, and there are many of them who are cute, and there are many, many of them who are neither. But there are, I think, very few of them who manage to be both hot and cute at the same time. Lucky, or whatever her actual name is, was one such girl. You don't really come across such girls very often, and when you do, you tend to take an instant liking to them. The last such lady on TV, if I remember correctly, was Mini Mathur, but that was before she got married and, therefore, grew fat.

That's another thing which is a source of constant wonder to me. How is it that Indian women, with amazing regularity, manage to grow very, and uniformly, fat after getting married, irrespective if their weight before marriage. But I'll write about that some other time.

Right now, I have to go to the SAC (Students' Activity Centre) for an inter-hostel quiz that is being held tonight. Today, the 28th, is the last day of all BRCA (Board of Recreation and Cultural Activities) events at IIT Delhi. Which means that there will no longer be any inter-hostel competitions after classes till the end of this semester. Which basically means that tomorrow onwards, I will no longer have any valid excuses for spending most of my time doing velagiri in college, and will have to return home at 5:00, maybe 6:00 PM. Which also means that my dull life is going to get duller, and I am going to die of boredom.

Before I go, I would like to write on a subject that has, and if you have been reading this blog regularly, you will know that it has, found repeated mention here. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am talking about Ms. Preity Zinta. Two evenings ago, as I was watching the last few minutes of the Filmfare Awards ceremony, I was fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of her on TV. And she was, as always, looking very pretty.
And that's when I fell in love with her. Again.

16 Comments:

Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

I don't know a single person who is actually voting for the indian idol!

What about the physique of married men? or is it just women who are expected to maintain themselves?!

Lucky, Preity...do we see a pattern here?

Btw, I saw that u r missing being called Bhaiyya. So Manu Bhaiyya it will be from now on. Whatsay people?

3:36 pm, February 28, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

Hey, hey..dontlook at me...im a good girl i am. manu is manu, not manu bhaiyya...see, see...im a good girl!

6:08 pm, February 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog, even though i am averse to long blog entries. interesting pieces.
especially enjoyed reading the views on girls and women. always a pleasure. u're spot on abt mm being the last of the cute+sexy lot. sexuality that's innocent but intended, flirtatious but not vulgar, child-like but not lolitaesque.
and btw you have competition regarding preity.
-shalabh

8:29 am, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Akhil said...

Damn You, BB!!

I was going to give the same info! Word to word it was (Except the vaastu shastra bit, I didn't know 'twas a movie)

9:36 am, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Let me make this extremely clear.
I do not like being called Bhaiyya.
It's just that I had gotten so used to being called that by Smita, that I now find it a bit odd when she calls me just Manu.

11:55 am, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Thanks, BB, for the information regarding Ms. Peeya Rai Chowdhury. You wouldn't happen to know her, would you?

Shalabh, I am glad you liked the post, and share my views on women.
By the way, are you the Shalabh from DPS RKP, or the Shalabh from IITD, or a totally new Shalabh not known to me?
And as for Ms. Zinta, you can have her. She's too old for me.

12:14 pm, March 01, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

really long well written post,...neway this is totally irrelevent-thnx for the link.
p.s it feels wierd to comment on ur blog with u sitting right beside me.

12:36 pm, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

You have met her!! How, I envy you. How is it that I never meet such people?
And I wonder what was it that you wrote in the comment you removed.

4:53 pm, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Wrongly used comma there. I apologize for the inconvenience. For expediency, here is the modified previous comment.

You have met her. How I envy you. How is it that I never come across such people.
And along with wondering what it was that you wrote in the comment you removed, I also wonder what prompted you to remove it.

5:10 pm, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

hang on. now u say it feels funny when i dont call u bhaiyya...so temme dya prefer ur funny feeling or dya prefer the painful feeling?and uve stopped coming to me blog again!hmph....

5:46 pm, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Akhil said...

Shayan? As in "Shayan Munshi"?

6:30 pm, March 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

What?? She's got a boyfriend with a name weirder than mine. Looks like I have some serious competition.
I am quite sure, however, that with a little bit of help from Saira, I can handle it. Handle the competition, that is. Besides, I like competition.
Smita, after reading that strange entry of yours on your childhood, I find that it takes a lot of courage to visit your blog. I do still visit it, though not with the same frequency. And I prefer you calling me just Manu, although I think it will take some time before I get completely used to it.

6:06 am, March 02, 2005  
Blogger ak said...

Nice blog you've got here. I'll keep visiting. You do, too. Are you in IIT-D?

9:35 am, March 02, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Thanks Anirudh. I will make it a point to.
And yes, I am in IITD.

11:42 am, March 02, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

Manu, thats no fair....I regained sanity long time ago.And it wasn't that bad. i did mention that it was just funny and not meant to sound the way it did. Must you join the "be mean to smita" league?

3:31 pm, March 02, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

I am not being mean to you. I still visit your blog much more frequently than you post entries on it.

5:00 pm, March 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home