Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Reinitiation

It's been a very long time since I last wrote. I have been kept busy, you see. There were classes, there was Tryst-2005, and then there was the Physics Practical lab-test that I had to take in the morning yesterday. Now that all of that is over, I feel like writing again, but I have a feeling that I am a bit out of touch. So what I shall do is write a long, boring entry right now to get into the groove, and tomorrow onwards, you can expect short and funny entries from me again.

Tryst-2005 was fun. It started on Thursday, the 17th and ended three days back, on the 20th. There was not much held on the 17th, except for a show called Hypnotica in the evening. It was, as the name suggests, an event where people were hypnotised and made to do weird stuff like dancing (to Dhoom, a song which I am fast getting sick of. If I hear it one more time, I'll puke), enacting war-scenes with AK-47s, and flying over oceans and forests and mountains. They were also sat on, made to contort their bodies into weird shapes and cry on stage. Ghastly as it all might sound, it was fun to watch. All in all, an extremely interesting event. Friday, the 18th was boring, and not much was held on that day, except for this event called Hocus Pocus, in which some South Indian rationalist explained to us how Sai Baba performs his alleged miracles, and showed us a weird documentary called 'The Guru-Busters.'

Saturday was a day I was keenly looking forward to, as I was participating in Zephyr (A Parliamentary Debating competition) being held on that day. It didn't go very well though, and me and my partner, Mr. Prabhpal Singh Grewal got knocked out in the 1st round itself, when we debated against this excellent team from NLS (They eventually went on to win the entire event, and they completely deserved it. They were good. Well, atleast one of them was.) on a topic none of us had any idea about. What was I supposed to say on why India should not support farmers at international fora like the WTO. The debate was fun nevertheless, and we might have won, but didn't. The rest of the day was spent in a variety of activities which included mainly eating and participating in a couple of weird prelims for a couple of weird events, including one which involved trading of stocks and shares, which I don't know much about. Don't know anything about, actually, but participating in prelims never hurt anybody.

Sunday, the last day of the fest was fun. The open quiz was held, and Mr. Bhavya Khanna, who had to come to claim the prize money he had won at DCE (The DCE chaps who had to pay him were also coming for the quiz. Unfortunately for Mr. Khanna, they hadn't got the money with them, just the certies.) kindly consented to be on my team for the event. We got 11 out of 21 questions right on the prelims, thanks primarily to Bhavya. We, however, didn't get enough to qualify for the finals. I later found out that 12 was qualifying, so we didn't miss by much. I stayed back to watch the final round, which was won by a team from IITD consisting of Mr. Arnav Sinha, Mr. Saket 'Stud' Jha, and Mr. Ashish Jhina, all seasoned quizzers. The questions were good (compliments to the quiz-masters, Mr. Rohan Trivedi, Mr. Piyush Pande, and a small guy with bushy side-burns), the answers even better, resulting in an extremely fun to watch quiz.

Tryst-2005 came to an end that evening with a laser-show (if it could be called that) called Coherence. It was not much of a laser show, and what little of it there was, was interrupted by this weird, noisy band called tan-triks, who played terrible songs all the time I was there (as I said, if I hear Dhoom once more, I'll puke), and started playing good ones the moment I left, which I had to before the program ended because a)I had to go somewhere for dinner with my parents, and b)They played such weird songs while I was there that I would have left even if I did not have to go anywhere with my parents.

Tuesday was PHP 100 lab-test day, which resulted in me getting screwed. It was also the day when I participated in an Inter-hostel quiz, which also went rather terribly. To sum up, a bad day.

Before I go, a very workable sasta for all the IITans reading this.
Q. What do you call an Internal Combustion Engine that has been developed by a student from Jwalamukhi Hostel?

A. An IC Engine.

I, as a matter of fact, am from Jwalamukhi Hostel. Which makes me wonder why I am doing this to myself.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Scribe said...

That has to be the one of the better Jwala sastas I've heard.

1:42 am, February 24, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

But then, you are also M.MS from DPS :P

4:19 am, February 24, 2005  
Blogger Ménk said...

It's 'IITians' and not 'IITans' mind you

6:50 am, February 24, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Yeah, whatever.
And just so there are no misunderstandings, M.MS from DPS is short for Mr. Manu Saxena from Delhi Public School.

11:15 am, February 24, 2005  
Blogger The Scribe said...

What course am I doing? Well technically a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. Not reflected too well in my coursework but anyhow...

11:36 am, February 24, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Mechanical Engineering. Hmmm...
You did your B.Tech. from IITD, right?
And you are Anant Sudarshan, right?

6:57 pm, February 24, 2005  
Blogger The Scribe said...

Ummm yes to both questions. I see my fame precedes me :p

10:00 pm, February 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home