Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A minor problem

Yep. It's Minor time again. They start on the 5th, and I have loads to do before I can give myself a fair chance of passing them. I haven't even started studying as yet. And there is not a single course this semester in which I have understood what has been done in class. This entry is probably going to be the last thing I do before I completely lose my sanity (some would tend to think that that has already hapenned long back, but I, for one, am pretty confident that I am completely sane right now. Only for the next couple of minutes though). Therefore it is very probable that tomorrow onwards, for the next week or so, this blog is going to be reduced to a place where I vent my pent up frustapa. It is unlikely that my posts over the next week will make much sense to anybody. So if you do plan to give this space a miss for the next week, let me tell you, you won't be missing much.

Besides that, life is looking nice and good. Nothing much has changed over the last few days, except for the fact that I have regained my, till very recently lost, penchant for walking. Uptil about a couple of months back, I used to be an avid (if that adjective can be used here) walker. I used to walk long distances, mainly because I used to like walking, and also because I had a huge amount of free time on my hands. I walked back home (AIIMS) once from Pragati Maidan, a good 8-9 kilometres. I hadn't intended to walk all the way when I started, but once I did, I didn't feel like stopping midway and taking a bus. I was dead tired at the end of it, but I enjoyed it. In addition to walking to commute, I also walked for leisure. I went for long post-dinner walks, and long morning walks, and for long walks all the time in between. But about two months into my life at IIT, I suddenly lost my will to walk. It was sad, but I just couldn't gather enough courage or energy to walk even small distances.

Which was what changed about 2 weeks back. In the last two weeks, I must have walked back home from college atleast 5-6 times. It's not a large distance, but it is fun. I usually walk alone, primarily because I like walking alone, and secondarily because I am usually unable to get much company for something as crazy as walking back home when I can get on almost any bus and reach home conviniently, within 10 minutes. I don't much mind walking alone, and I always have my iPod for company.

Walking is not a boring thing to do, contrary to what most people believe. Just looking around provides plenty of entertainment. People in Delhi are weird, and do the most alarming things, like discussing halwa recipes loudly on their cellphones, and singing/shouting out Punjabi songs with strange lyrics while walking on the road. Lots of fun stuff happens on Delhi roads, like rickshaws tipping over when fat people sit on them, and cars ramming into stationary railings.

The other day, when I was walking back from college after a debating competition at about 9:50 at night, I suddenly realised that Koffee with Karan was about to begin in 10 minutes, and there was no way I was going to reach home in time to watch it unless I took an auto. As much as I like walking, Koffee with Karan is not a program I like to miss. I therefore stopped listening to the song I was listening to (which was a very difficult thing to do, since I was listening to La Noyée, from the sound-track of the movie Amélie, an extraordinary song by any standards), and loudly started shouting to make an auto, which was travelling on the other side of the road, stop. As soon as it stopped, I tore across the street and hastily jumped into it, almost tipping it over, even though I am not fat.
"Drive like blazes", I shouted, or something to that effect in Hindi.
"Where?", said the auto-driver, not unreasonbly.
"Eh? Oh, Medical", I sheepishly answered, after a delay of about ten seconds, which was the time it took me to understand the question. My mind, you see, was somewhere else.
After that it was smooth sailing, until the time I reached AIIMS, when I took out my wallet confidently to pay the fare, only to find it empty. I stared at the empty wallet for some time, and soon realised that I was in, what some might call, a fix. Fortunately, I found one of my good friends walking about just then, and borrowed the money from him. What might have happened had I not found him there then, I shudder to think. I could have been taken to the police by the auto-wala. Or worse, I could have missed a bit of Koffee with Karan (which, as it turns out, I did, because I kept talking to my friend, from whom I had borrowed the money I required, for the next half an hour).

Two more things I need to say before I end this blog entry and then proceed to go crazy.

Firstly, if you ever come to IIT, Delhi, try the gaajar ka juice that is sold at a juice shop here. You can get a glass for 10 bucks. The juice itself is nothing special, just your usual run-of-the-mill gaajar juice. But the process through which the juice is obtained is pretty interesting. You see, the guy uses fresh carrots to extract the juice in front of you. And listening to the 'Zuuuuuk' sound that the gaajars make as they go down the juice-maker (or whatever that thing is called) is so completely worth the ten rupees you spend.

Secondly, about ten minutes back I saw some blog-entries and photos pertaining to the farewell, that have been posted by some of the students who just passed out from DPS RK Puram this year. They reminded me of my own farewell last year. Made me all senti and sad. I had the most amazing time in school, and I'm tearing up with nostalgia right now.

So long, folks. It's time for me to bid my sanity goodbye.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

Its the weather. Makes you want to walk.
All the best for the minors.

3:19 pm, February 01, 2005  
Blogger Karan said...

Thankfully people have started listening to me even if it is just Amélie. Now go try "Real To Me" by Brian McFadden.

4:43 pm, February 02, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Tried it. Found it ok.

9:06 am, February 04, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

And thanks, Tipsy Topsy.

9:10 am, February 04, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

Don't lose your sanity just yet. Best of luck for ur minors..gimme ur email id, i wanna add u 2 my msn list..and no, u dont have a choice. dont talk abt leaving school and yada, yada....it makes me wanna cry. have u met up wid tara by ne chance? and have u stopped visiting me blog????

7:22 pm, February 05, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

My email id, for all those interested, is manusaxena86@hotmail.com.

No Smita, I haven't stopped visiting your blog. I visit it every two days or so. If only you would post that often, half of my visits to your blog wouldn't prove unnecessary.
And no, I haven't met Tara in the longest time. Infact, not since my semester began. Maybe I'll try once my minors end.

7:39 pm, February 05, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

Sorry abt ze posting manu bhaiyya, but im simply running out of things to write about...will try and be more creative though and will try to update more frequently...

5:40 pm, February 06, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Stop calling me Bhaiyya.

5:46 am, February 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home