Wednesday, May 25, 2005

On diverse subjects

The last one week has been boring. Incredibly boring. I hadn't thought that my life could get any duller, but it has. My research, though still being carried out with extreme devotion and great intensity, has gotten a bit monotonous, and a friend of mine, who I was talking to yesterday, pointed out that it wasn't even completely accurate and error-free. My existence has been reduced to a series of mundane activities. I sleep. I eat. I read. I listen to music. Worst of all, I think.

And thinking, at least in my case, usually leads to disastrous consequences. Take, as an example, the last post I posted on this blog. It was entirely a result of my excessive thinking. I won't go into the other, much more disastrous consequences right now, for they project me in an extremely unfavourable light, and make me feel very stupid. I shall say however, that I have received a rather serious threat from my parents. They have threatened to throw me out of the house if I do any more thinking.

Besides that, work has started for Rendezvous 2005. Some of you might be knowing that Rendezvous 2005 is being organized by Jwalamukhi Hostel, which is also, as most of you would be knowing, my hostel. The preliminary preparations for Rendezvous 2005 started about a week back. I had been given a lot of work that was to be finished by sometime yesterday. I shall have to start working on that ASAP, for if I delay it too much, I shall not be looked upon favourably. More so because of the fact that there was a meeting to discuss how the work was coming along last night, which I forgot all about.

I visited Anything Mac, the authorized Apple reseller that is situated somewhere midway between Yusuf Sarai and Green Park a couple of days back. I came back highly impressed. Before I launch into a detailed account of my experiences there, allow me to give you a brief history of what led me to being there in the first place.

About a week back, when I had gone to Reliance Web World to meet some of my friends (I would like to add here, that I had gone only to meet my friends, and did not spend a single paisa on gaming, keeping in mind the promise I had made to myself of not spending a single paisa at Reliance Web World on gaming.), I had been unfortunate enough to break my iPod case. I was comfortably seated on an armchair, but as I was getting up, the case got caught against the arm of the armchair, and detached itself from the belt-clip that was originally attached to it, but was now not. The case, as a result, was reduced to a state of uselessness, for I could not use it to attach the iPod to my belt, and I do not like carrying the iPod around in my pocket. I asked people who were a lot more experienced than I was at such stuff, and finally came to know that if there was any hope that my iPod case could be repaired, it was at Anything Mac.

It was under these circumstances that I walked into Anything Mac. It didn't look a very big establishment from the outside, and once inside, it continued to not look a very big establishment. But the moment I was inside, I was completely convinced that it was, indeed, the best place I could have brought my case. "Here," I said to myself, "is a place where my case shall be in good hands."

The scene inside was appropriate for a store associated with Apple. There were iMacs, and iBooks, and PowerMacs, and PowerBooks, and iPods, and assorted accessories lying around in delightful disarray. The walls were plastered with Apple posters, all of them colourful and informative and brilliantly catchy and humourous at the same time. People were working here and there on brightly coloured workstations. And the moment I walked in, I got everybody's undivided attention. They asked me my problem. They understood exactly what was wrong. Then, one of them took the case from me, and, cradling it delicately in his arms, made his way somewhere towards the inside of the shop. A couple more people followed him inside, all the while heatedly discussing what would be the best course of action that one could follow to repair my case. People ushered me to seats, and asked me to sit down. Other people offered me water. Still other people came to me at periodic intervals of time and gave me updates on the latest condition of my case and how it was being taken care of. About 5-7 minutes later, the man who had taken my case inside with him reemerged. He handed me the case, and I could see he had done a good job on it. My case was, although not as quite as good as new, once again capable of carrying out the work it had been designed to do. And the best part is, I did not have to spend any money. They did all the repair-work for free. Before I left, they even apologized for the case breaking, and implored me to come back if I ever, in the future, felt something was wrong with my iPod or my iPod case. Never before have I seen such attitude from people running shops in India. I came back with tears in my eyes, ear-phones in my ears, my iPod nestled cozily in its case, and the case firmly attached to my belt through its belt-clip. It was an almost spiritual experience.

On an unrelated note, I have had the fortune of watching some very good movies in the past few days. I shall now briefly review one of them.

I watched Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith four days back. I absolutely loved it. Although I had not seen a couple of movies from the original trilogy, and did not remember much from the Star Wars movies I had seen, I had a rough idea of the plot, thanks mainly to Mr. Rohan Trivedi. He was kind enough to give me the gist of the entire original trilogy, and I was, I believe, more or less successful in understanding what was happening during Episode III: Revenge of The Sith. The movie is brilliantly made, and Anakin's gradual transformation from a Jedi Knight to the much known and much feared Darth Vader is very well documented. The action scenes are, as expected, breathtakingly wonderful, and the story moves along at an easy and comfortable pace. A few scenes here and there, especially the ones concerning Anakin and his wife, the Amidala female (she's a looker), do tend to drag a bit, but fortunately, there are not too many of them. Most of the performances are convincing. Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi), Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker), and Ian McDirmaid (Supreme Chancellor Palpatine) have played their respective parts very well. The duration of the movie is perfect, and the special effects are, without question, the best that I have seen as yet.

Overall, it is, most undoubtedly, a mast-watch.

27 Comments:

Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

oye manu
yaar i also saw a movie
its called kingdom of heaven

if any1's plannin 2 watch it.. beware its worth does not cross 50 bucks and you must have a history fanatic(my friend anda in my case) to tell you whats happening.. though there's a war scene which is interesting..
btw this movie was an anda recommendation..
(click here to know more about anda>)

he also recommends revenge of the sith(he's crazy about it) but since you say it is a good movie I would rather give it a chance...

and congo for ur ipod case...(u won it) ..

7:06 am, May 26, 2005  
Blogger AP said...

I had expected much more responses to this post on iPod and Star Wars.
Now I can peacefully drop my own plan on posting something on Star Wars.

Thanx for that lesson.

9:15 am, May 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you write that pome all by yourself ??!
i louuuu it !
you know , the previous post.
it appears that manu saxena is of poetic disposition after all .

10:47 am, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Well, you know, I seem to be liking the idea of you thinking, after all.
Though your last post wasn't a master piece but still. Honestly, it was a pleasant change.

11:13 am, May 26, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

I hate to be the one to spill the beans, but Sana; the previous post is nothing but lines from Losing My Religion - R.E.M.

3:27 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Oye Maniraj...
I've heard that Kingdom of Heaven is an absolutely barbaad movie. I'm sorry you had to go see it.
As far as Star Wars is concerned, I assure you that you will enjoy it.
And dude, I love your blog. Keep up the good work.

Anjul, when I write a blog post, I write it for personal satisfaction and creative fulfillment. Not for comments or responses. The purpose of this blog is not gathering insignificant comments.
However, if I do get comments, I don't really mind.

Akanksha, in the absence of anything better to say, Thank You.

Sana, I could lie to you, and say that I wrote the poem all by myself. But I shall not. The lines that I posted in my last entry were directly lifted from a song I rather like. I had absolutely nothing to do with their being written.

3:39 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

As Aidoneus pointed out, while I was in the process of writing that rather long comment and then checking for the absence of spelling and grammatical errors in it.

3:44 pm, May 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alright then , so manu saxena ISN'T of poetic disposition. evidently you haven't reached those depths of boredom yet.

6:23 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

I think I have. Believe me, if I could write poetry, I'd be churning out 10-15 poems a day. That's how bored I am.

7:19 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

mickey, this is with reference to a puraana post! i got a WHOLE LINK to myself!! oye balle balle! phurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!Danke!!

8:42 pm, May 26, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Um... you're welcome?

P.S.- Is Maniraj contagious?

4:56 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Anand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:33 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

I was visiting a friend's blog and came across this blog. It's so hilarious.
http://askthepope.blogspot.com/
I am sure, anyone can laugh his/her head off, reading the comments n of course the posts. It is what ur professor might call, a 'mast visit'.

7:48 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

DUD-REJA! u got manu there!!!!!

and mr saxena...
Um... you're welcome?

P.S.- Is Maniraj contagious?


what characteristic virtue of Sir Mr.Maniraj got you to affiliate the previous to the aforementioned post with yours highly..

10:02 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

My Dear Dud-Reja,
I shall repeat to you what I once said to my good friend Rohan Trivedi.

"In prose, discerning writers often employ what is commonly known as sarcasm. Though a familiar concept to most people, it is not completely incapable of being beyond certain shallow-minded and superficial individuals.

This blog, if you haven't realised it as yet, employs sarcasm quite often.
The set of sentences you have so ignorantly pointed out (italicised, even) were simply illustrating the concept I have talked about here."

I do hope that has cleared up some misconceptions.
In case it hasn't, allow me to be blunt and explicit.
Dude, I was being sarcastic.

By the way, nice name, Dud-Reja. Suits you just fine.

10:45 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Akanksha, I totally agree. It is a cool blog.
Second only to http://chapaat.blogspot.com/, if you are looking for quick laughs.

Maniraj, dude, stick to your usual language. I can't even understand what message you were trying to convey in your last comment.

11:05 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Anand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Dear B****, pray tell me when was I the recipient of these words..."In prose, discerning writers often employ what is commonly known as sarcasm. Though a familiar concept to most people, it is not completely incapable of being beyond certain shallow-minded and superficial individuals.
I do not claim my memory is infalliable but I am quite sure I would not have forgotten such loquacious pontifications especially if they had come from you.
Am I mistaken or are you back to your old tricks...in other words..."You lie, you B****".

11:28 am, May 27, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

Most Entertaining.

2:38 pm, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

Umm...

The sattire used by you was far too much to be understood

Hate to do this, but it is Manu's blog, and hence..

8:00 am, May 28, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Damn you Aseem, I was about to point that out. Now I don't have anything left to say. May you rot in hell.

Dear Enigma/Andy/TSW/Whatever you would like to call yourself,

First of all, MMS stands for Mr. Manu Saxena, and therefore saying Mr. MMS, would be superfluously adding a Mr. to my name. Take my advice; in the future, meddle not with things you don't know much about. Word spellings included.

Secondly, dude, don't think I am trying to pick a fight here, but if you don't happen to like my writing style (seeing that you have insulted it gravely in the last comment you left on this blog), I would request you to just buzz off. If you don't like something about this blog, you are completely free to go stick your head in a pig. Nobody asked for you to be here and nobody, I assure you, will miss you, or your ruddy italicised comments.

Thank you for your visits.
Mr. Manu Saxena (MMS)

1:02 pm, May 28, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Dear S***-F**,
I do not lie. If you don't believe me, go see for yourself. The comment in question is up on my blog.

Post Name: On farewells and open houses
Dated April 24, 2005 (Sunday).

1:10 pm, May 28, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

B****, you go delete your comments after thay have been replied too, you go write comments long after a post is dead and buried, not done dude, not done.(I observe the irony here...)

7:57 pm, May 28, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

May you rot in hell.

I'm in IIT.
Thank you.

9:44 pm, May 28, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Dear S***-F**,
When I respond to a comment, I find it necessary to do so on the same post the comment was initially posted on.

Aseem, when I said hell, I meant to indicate something a lot more permanant than 4 years of IIT. Or, as in your case (Muhahahaha), 5 years of IIT.

8:33 am, May 29, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

oye manu
i think seema(aseem) is goin in for mech
true na ????
or atleast chem btech...

4 yrs manu... 4 yrs for seema too..

9:13 am, May 29, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

Cannot be said..

'It ain't over till the fat lady sings'

8:33 pm, May 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home