Sunday, April 24, 2005

On farewells and open-houses

I have no time for lengthy introductory paragraphs.

My blog-hits on Nedstat have gone up to about 9,500 (Since 4th December, 2004). Since I registered for Nedstat about a month after I started blogging, I think I would be quite justified in assuming that my blog has now been visited about 10,000 times. Yay!!

Cranium-2005 was held on Friday night/Saturday morning. All the IITans reading this will know that Cranium is the QC (Quizzing Club) farewell event. The questions are made by the passing-out batch, and the quiz goes on all night. It started at about 7:30 in the evening, and ended at about 5:30 in the morning. The prelims were easy, and although my partner (ROTB, or Rohan of The B****s) did not arrive until they had almost ended, we managed to get through to the finals. The quiz basically consisted of a lot of questions (as would be required for it to last the entire night), which were being answered by various people in varying stages of sleep and drunkenness. The quiz was, on the whole, very interesting. It did get a bit tedious at times, but the fact that the SAC (Students' Activity Centre) committee-room, the venue for the event, has a door that leads out directly to the SAC lawns, helped greatly to relieve the monotony. Whenever things got a bit boring, I popped out for some time, and enjoyed Delhi's cool, fresh, nightly breeze (which was extraordinarily cool and fresh on this particular night), along with interesting conversations with other QC enthusiasts.

Cranium-2005 was the last QC event this academic year. It makes me feel almost sad to think that the next time I attend a QC event at IIT, Delhi, quite a few of the familiar QC faces will be missing. There will be no more of Arnav Sinha, no more of Ashish Jhina (whom I am, for some weird reason, widely assumed to be terribly afraid of), no more of Pushan Sengupta (or Pushan Singh, as a scorer, who has, over time, developed an almost altogether unhealthy dislike for Pushan, would have us believe), no more of Varun Sud, no more of Saket 'The Stud' Jha, and no more of the rest of the passing-out batch. I cannot help but feel that without all these people, QC events are no longer going to be as interesting, or as insightful, as they were all of this year. I sadly bid them goodbye, and may they succeed wherever they go in life.

After Cranium, I came back home. I reached home at about 6:00 AM. After a longish nap, I was back in college by about 12:30, for the 'Open-House' that was being held there. Lots of projects by IIT students were on display there. The special feature was a colouring/blood-testing kit developed by the BioTech. Dept. that costed only Rs. 25. Here's how you use it.
You take it out, add a bit of water to the given dry-colours on the paper, and use tooth-picks to colour up the circles. Then you add a drop of your blood to each circle, and watch the neat patterns appear. You show the neat patterns to a person,who is seated there for the special purpose of looking at the neat patterns, and he looks at the neat patterns and tells you your blood-group.
Very neat, I thought.

I also saw some of the projects made by the 2nd year Mechanical Engineering students, which were up for display. There was a slidable stretcher, a matchstick-wood saver, a bulb-changer, and other such stupid contraptions which all of us could perfectly do without. But then, I, too, am in Mechanical Engineering, and I guess in another year or so, I, too, would be thinking that these are pretty neat ideas.

Besides that, the semester is about to end. I have assignments to submit, projects to finish, and studying to do. Deadlines are passing by, making whooshing noises. I have quizzes (the real ones) lined up on most of the days of the coming week, and my Major Tests start on the 4th of May. My life, something tells me, is going to continue being an 'Unmitigated Disaster', unless I study, and study hard. It is, therefore, very likely that I will not be able to write a lot in the coming two weeks, except for short posts telling you how my life deteriorates with each passing Major.

Till then,
So long, and thanks for all the hits.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no problem

7:05 am, April 25, 2005  
Blogger Phoenix said...

neat work

7:48 am, April 25, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Thank you, sr.
Thank you, ENVISAGER.

12:34 pm, April 25, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Again, as always, "You lie, you B****!!!"
Is this some kind of idee fixe with you that anything/anyone associated with you automatically becomes 'of the B*****'?

Anyway coming to the 'neat' idea of the stretcher, when the bells toll for you, you'll realize the only requirement for the projet is that it must suit the fancy of a certain gentleman namely your course adivisor, The man himself.

3:26 pm, April 25, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Let me make this very clear. Superfluous capitalisation is not appreciated on this blog.

As for the stretcher, who said anything about it being 'neat'?

1:24 pm, April 27, 2005  
Blogger Phoenix said...

oh!

anyway i was talkin abt the neat post

6:51 am, April 28, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

"I guess in another year or so, I, too, would be thinking that these are pretty neat ideas."

You pain me...with your ignorance, blatant lying and general B****ness...

10:53 am, April 28, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:57 pm, April 28, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

My Dear B****,
In prose, discerning writers often employ what is commonly known as sarcasm. Though a familiar concept to most people, it is not incapable of being beyond certain shallow-minded and superficial individuals.

This blog, if you haven't realised as yet, employs sarcasm quite often.
The set of sentences you have so ignorantly pointed out was a case in point.

You, being the B**** that you are, were evidently unable to realise this simple fact.

7:45 pm, April 29, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Although multi-tasking, I know, is not your strong point, next time, try to think while reading.
It usually helps.

7:47 pm, April 29, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Dear B****, there's a difference between sarcasm and stupidity, unfortunately for you everytime you try (or so you claim) to be sarcastic you end up looking like a complete ass, albeit one of a smaller degree than our friend with too many names.

7:57 pm, June 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home