Monday, May 16, 2005

Still eight point someone

I got to know my grades on all the courses I took this semester a little while back. And like at the end of the first semester, I am pleased. Considering the amount of preparation I had put in, and the way my tests had gone, an SGPA (Semester Grade-Point Average) of 7 seemed most improbable. But the grades are in, and I am, once again, well above 8. This inspite of the fact that this was one of IIT's reputed even semesters (Traditionally, even semesters at IIT are supposed to be a bit tougher than the odd ones). If I was happy with the results at the end of the last semester, I am absolutely ecstatic about them at the end of this one.

Besides that, not much has been happening. I have been getting very bored on some days, and having a lot of fun on some other days. I went to Daryaganj yesterday with a few friends. I had heard much about the Road-Side Sunday Bazaar there, so I decided to go and check it out myself. I also wanted to buy some books (fiction, mostly) to keep myself occupied for the coming few days. I went at about 1:30 PM, intending to spend the afternoon scouting for books. It was an intensely hot and tiring afternoon, an afternoon spent walking long distances in the sun and haggling with road-side book-vendors. But in the end, it was all well worth it. In the evening, I returned home tired, but satisfied. In a little over 4 hours, I had managed to acquire 1 Alistair MacLean, 1 Jeffrey Archer, 1 thick collection of Contemporary Short Stories, The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, and 3 Wodehouses. And all that for a neat sum of Rs. 250 (Rs. 264, if I include conveyance). An extremely productive afternoon, I think.

Later on, after a nice evening spent playing Badminton, I borrowed another Jeffrey Archer from Karan. I also, as a result, had to borrow a movie, which Karan insisted I take if I wanted the book. He flatly refused to lend me the book unless I agreed to take the movie as well. As a result, and in the absence of anything better to do, I was compelled to watch Khooni Dracula last night. Click on the link to read a review. I shall not write much about the movie here. I shall suffice by saying that the movie made me feel almost good about watching Kya Kool Hain Hum.

I shall now stop writing, for it is getting late, and I am extraordinarily tired, not having slept much in the last two days.

P.S. - Nobody is more awake to the fact than I, that the last few posts on this blog have failed to soar to the great heights of eloquence and witty humour that one has, over time, begun to expect from the entries posted here. The problem, though grave, is, I assure you, temporary. I am, if I may so add, working on it. So start expecting a nice and funny entry on this blog. You shall, hopefully, see one very soon.

16 Comments:

Blogger AP said...

"Khooni Dracula"... hmm... a dracula that murders, shit, that's innovation right in the title.
Come on, we don't expect draculas to commit murders, do we?
That would be a sin.

Did you get to count the number of rape scenes you saw before you passed out?

10:30 pm, May 16, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

That last paragraph is the funniest I have read yet on your blog.

10:46 pm, May 16, 2005  
Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

Always wanted to make a trip to
Daryaganj. But, the heat scares me.

Read a one-liner that reminded me of you,

Even if you win a rat race, you are still a rat!

7:23 am, May 17, 2005  
Blogger Anand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:58 am, May 17, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Just the thought of being forced to watch a mavie whose name quite suggests all tht could be of it, is scary!
This friend of yours, I must say, would be having one sort of collection of movies.
And of course, congrats on the 8 points.
I still wonder why people didn't like 5 point someone.
Just in case, you hate it, you know what to do at:
http://fpstwins.rediffblogs.com/
This happens to be a blog by Chetan Bhagat (or a person who claims to be CB)

3:01 pm, May 17, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Anjul, I did not pass out. And as far as the rape scenes go, I lost count after 17.

Aseem, you obviously have not read much of my blog.

TT, are you, by any chance, calling me a rat?

TSW, why shouldn't it? It is a movie, after all. The review, by the way, I thought, was quite wonderfully done.

Akanksha, scary is one thing the movie was not. It was awfully made, tasteless, and downright disgusting, but it was not scary. In the words of the friend of mine who lent me the CD, it "Couldn't have scared a squirrel."
And thanks.

8:11 pm, May 17, 2005  
Blogger AP said...

it "Couldn't have scared a squirrel."

This was as funny as The Mahabharat. Seriously, even a hyna wouldn't care about this one.

Your friend has got some sense of humour I must say.

5:02 am, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

If you want more of that brand of humour, click on the first link in the blog-roll.

6:20 am, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Abhishek, you should be writing tag-lines for B-grade Bollywood Flicks. You seem to be pretty good at them.
And while you are on this blog, I would request you to kindly mind your grammar.

11:03 am, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

'This was as funny as The Mahabharat.'
I wonder where The Mahabharat came into scene but it's definitely not funny or so I say.

11:05 am, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

I totally agree. I have always been under the impression that the Mahabharat is supposed to be dead serious. A great mythological tale. A tragic saga of epic proportions, and so on...

11:28 am, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

A tragic saga of epic proportions, and so on...'
I'd like to believe u're serious...

4:48 pm, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

I am serious. I really am.

7:39 pm, May 18, 2005  
Blogger AP said...

The Mahabharata came into picture because of my pathetic attempt at sarcasm.

7:55 pm, May 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

khooni dracula huh...heh....reminds me of those dumbcharades days....the likes of all chudails....n khooni watever we added to it...pity u had to sit thru it...but ur weekend didnt sound too bad 7 odd books for 250 bucks...its a steal...happy reading...lookin fwd to that funny blog ur talkin bout...ciao...

7:58 am, May 19, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Uh, okay.

10:52 am, May 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home