Thursday, October 13, 2005

Solely on poetry

Regular readers of this blog, especially the ones who have been around long enough to have read an earlier (much earlier) post on poetry, would know that I'm not too good at it. People, who happen to know me decently well, would also know that I'm not too good at it, besides knowing that I'm slightly insane. Mr. Karan Misra, who happens to be unfortunate enough to be both (a regular reader of this blog and a person who happens to know me decently well; not bad at poetry and slightly insane), put it very aptly, when he once said, with characteristic eloquence, that Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz could have written better poetry. I am quite sure that he was correct.

What I am trying to convey is that I have never been very good at poetry. I haven't even been a little good, and have escaped being dreadfully bad only by the skin of my teeth. A very long time ago, I had tried, and failed, and being a man who knows his limitations, I had, until very recently, resigned myself to a poetry-less existence.

But recently, when I took a look around, as I tend to do every couple of months or so, I saw everybody writing, believe it or not, poetry. It seems to me to be the latest fad. All my good friends are writing poetry. All my not-so-good friends are writing poetry. All the people I know but am not quite friendly with are writing poetry, and I am very sure that quite a few of the people I don't know at all would be writing poetry as well. I feel, to put it bluntly, quite left out.

A friend of mine, a real stud, recently said, "Today, if you're writing poetry, you're cool. If you're not, you're not." When I heard that, I told him I wanted to be cool. He laughed at me. But when I told him I was serious, he said grimly, "Manu, I'm not going to lie to you. It is going to be tough. But just do as I say, and I assure you, one day, you will be." "Where do I start?", I asked him. He thought a bit, and then said, expectedly, "Let's start with poetry."

So Ladies and Gentlemen, without much further ado, allow me to present my first step on the road to cooldom.


Another Day

He wakes up from a dream,
And sees the daylight streaming in.
He sits up in bed,
Trying to remember himself again.

He looks at himself in the mirror.
His face is drawn and weary.
His eyes are tired,
Yet they seem to him to shine.

And he knows he's still alive,
And forces himself to smile.


In case any of you got what I was trying to say in that poem, do let me know. I didn't understand much of it after the first couple of lines, and I would love to know what it means.
Thank You, and a very Happy Belated Dusshera to all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man......Manu for some reason I really like this...awesome!!!!
but extend it a bit!

3:44 am, October 14, 2005  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

ahem ahem
this poem suggests sumtn like

"jeena bhi nahi chahta aur marna to obviously nahi chahta"

btw
I had once written a LOOONG post on poyums.. i dont think any1 read it...
u try 2 read it.. maybe u get sometn out of it...

The poyums post

And ya dont worry.. ull be cool one day.. (atleast in december u will be)

4:49 am, October 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poem isnt all that bad...quite good actually...
except it seems to lack rhythm!!
...or maybe its my lack of creativity speaking
bah...
btw i think ure cool as it is...unless ure aiming to become one of those wannabe cool dudes
lest i forget...no offences
ciao

10:50 am, October 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and yes, i agree with mridul...u may want to consider extending your poem...its coming along quite nicely

10:51 am, October 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a good poem .

and of course you know what it means , though you will probably deny it . or not , after this comment . or both . i think i have covered all possibilities here .

don't be embarassed , its a good poem !

12:45 pm, October 14, 2005  
Blogger Akhil said...

Amature poetry's Baayd.

9:29 pm, October 14, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Mridul, thanks. I don't think, however, that I'll be able to extend it. I'm done with enough poetry for about a year.

Mani, thanks for enlightening me. I loved your long post on the 'poyums'. It was amazingly well written and very, very meaningful.

Radhika, thanks. As far as the rhyme goes, can't seem to find them words (that rhyme).

Anya, it's good to see you back. Thanks for thinking the poem to be good. And I seriously don't know what it means. Not the entire thing anyway.

Akhil, quite.

8:33 pm, October 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home