Thursday, March 31, 2005

Movie reviews

I've seen quite a few movies in the last week or so. Although reviewing movies is not really something I like doing, I shall still write a bit about them, mainly because I don't have much else to write about.

I saw X2: X-Men United about four or five days back. It was a good movie. Although I haven't seen the first part, I liked it. Most of the plot was pretty straightforward, and I understood what was going on, so I guess watching the first movie isn't an important requirement. I was at home, I was bored, and I had nothing better to do. It was a good way to spend a couple of hours. Lots of fighting, lots of good special effects, and lots of women in tight leather body-suits. How could I not have liked it.

I also recently saw The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It is, easily, one of the crappiest English movies I have seen in a long time. It has no story. Everything keeps happening in a most disorderly manner. And the special effects are really scrappy. Just shows that assembling the biggest names from the world of fiction alone won't make a movie work. Take my advice. If you ever get the opportunity to watch it, don't. If you'd like to watch it for Naseeruddin Shah, once again, don't. Go watch one of his better Hindi flicks instead.

I watched a bit of Aitraaz on TV. It is, I think, a dumb movie. True, Priyanka Chopra is a real looker, but besides that, I can't figure out what all the fuss is about.

Seabiscuit, which I saw a couple of days back, is a good movie. Definitely worth a watch. The story is nice. Although there are no breathtaking performances, most of the actors have done a good job. It is a typical underdog story, and like most typical underdog stories, it is a good and inspiring watch. One of the better movies I have seen in recent times.

But by far the best of the lot was Million Dollar Baby, which I went and watched today. It is an absolutely brilliant movie. The length is perfect, the story is amazing, and the performances are mind-blowing. No wonder it won most of the Oscars. I haven't seen the competition (The Aviator, and Ray) as yet, but I am quite sure it can't be that good. I am not going to give out any of the story here. Go watch it yourself.

And, on the side, I have also been watching a lot of The Simpsons. My Oscar, if there ever existed such a thing, would go to Homer.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

Started watching League of ... but someone called and I was glad to give up the movie.

Saw a portion of Seabiscuit. Stopped so that I can watch it from the beginning the next time it is aired.

Aitraaz is just slightly better and smarter than the usual bollywood crap. That's what is good about all Abbas Mustaan movies.

Million Dollar Baby was great. Just one question. Why did Hillary Swank win the oscar?

6:18 pm, March 31, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Who else would you have given it to?

7:08 pm, March 31, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

You bitch, why didn't you tell me that you were going to watch Million Dollar Baby?

7:38 pm, March 31, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Didja ask? And I thought you already knew. And you said you had work.
Sheesh!!

7:52 pm, March 31, 2005  
Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

I haven't seen the others. But, I did not find anything special in her performance. The character was powerful and she didn't screw it up.

7:06 am, April 01, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

Arey, I was under the impression that you were going to watch any movie you could get to watch.

7:07 am, April 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

We were, initially. But then, when we reached Priya, we found out that the next show was Zeher. So we came back, and hung out at Nescafe for a while. I attended a CSL 102 lecture, and after that we went to Saket at about 3:40 to watch Million Dollar Baby.
Sorry you didn't know.

9:35 am, April 01, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

At the risk of sounding repetitive, Bitch !

1:22 pm, April 01, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

At the risk of sounding repetitive, not a healthy sign, Mr. Bagger. Not a healthy sign at all.
And then you expect me to respect my seniors.

6:42 pm, April 01, 2005  
Blogger Maanick said...

Woohoo! Go Homer!

6:25 am, April 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home