Wednesday, April 06, 2005

On blogging belligerence

There once was a time, when blogging activities were peaceful. When blogging was primarily an outlet to one's emotions. When people wrote on blogs to unwind, to meditate on the state of affairs, to think out their lives, and to understand themselves better. When people posted unencumbered by thoughts of violence and aggression. But all that has changed.

The blogging world, at least the part of it that is visible to me, is getting ugly. Posts are getting aggressive and violent. Comment wars are erupting all over the land. Sarcasm is getting out of hand, and insolence has replaced humour. Courtesy and respect have been forgotten. The days of old have left, and evil days are upon us. Don't believe me? Check out the comments to MINORity report on Summer Lightening, one of the blogs I visit regularly. It is a wonderful blog, but of-late, it's beauty was being ruined by a full-scale comment-war raging between two parties, namely Mr. Wowbagger, and Mr. Nuisance. It was fun in the beginning, but soon it got a bit out of hand. Evasive action had to be taken to end the hostilities, which now, thanks to no small a part being played by me, are over. Mr. Nuisance, nice fellow that he is, has come to his senses, and has signaled an end to all aggression. Mr. Bagger, though he hasn't actually declared peace, has not posted a comment on the post in question for some time now, so it would be safe to assume the episode over.

The incident mentioned above is but a single example of a widespread phenomenon. Blogging belligerence is definitely on the rise these days. I, personally, feel that blogging belligerence comes about due to two reasons.

Firstly, it is because of the anonymity provided by the net. Bloggers, these days, try their very best to project themselves in an extremely positive light. Nothing wrong with that, I say. It is but an expression of the human ego. But many actually lie (gasp!!) to make sure readers think well of them. These bloggers, as a general rule, try to be 'Cool Dudes' and lie about their physical appearances, their opinions on certain issues, the status of their lives, and sometimes, even their badminton skills. Such false claims provide a lot of scope for blog-battles.

Secondly, blogging aggression comes about due to a much simpler and more fundamental reason. Human aggression. Human aggression is, try as we might to deny it, one of the most basic human qualities, and trying to outdo others in a battle of wits is but a natural extension of this aggression. This is probably what happened in the example cited above. It started out innocently, with two people passing funny and witty comments against each other. But as often happens when wit is kept unchecked, the comments, especially the later ones, ended up a bit on the ruder side, and things got out of hand.

Another question which I must deal with before I sign-off is that of hope. "Is all hope lost?", some may ask. "Will we perpetually live under a shadow of blogging belligerence for the rest of our times?" The answer is a big, resounding NO. Things, if we make a conscious effort, can change. All hope is not lost. Do not try to mislead others by misrepresenting yourself. And keep wit under check. These are the two biggest lessons the bloggers of our times have to learn. If you already follow these two basic rules, rejoice, for you have already done your bit to make the blogging world a safe and peaceful place. If you don't, kindly try to. That is all I ask for.

18 Comments:

Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Cheeky, but not rude.
People, take note. Contrary to what some might believe, I do practice what I preach.

1:18 pm, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Xiexie said...

Shrey here again !I have a friend in Japan who was telling me the exact same thing what you've written.The Comment Box's basic function is FeedBack and maybe a little harmless interaction between writer and reader!But as I was saying, kids in Japan were using it or rather misusing it to abuse teachers,spread rumors and a whole lot of other stuff my friend refused to mention! Anyway I hope my blog doesn't face anything like that.By the way I just started blogging, I'm not much of a writer, but if anyone wants to visit my blog,its:
gremlinfromthekremlin.blogspot.com
Sorry I'm advertising like this !
What are your charges ?

2:27 pm, April 06, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

am really flattered, thanks for all the free advertising and the really nice compliments.

But I can't help asking you this...what's your take on pompous bloggers with a 'holier than thou' attitude? ;-)

3:21 pm, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Shrey, as long as you keep agreeing with what I say, you can advertise on my blog all you like.

Rohan, pomp and attitude I can take. Aggression and insolence I can't.

Saira, we'll get to know, hopefully, this Saturday evening, unless Mr. Misra comes up with any more of his feeble excuses.

6:02 pm, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

hey manu, i do agree with u abt the nasty blogging these days, but hey keep badminton off ur posts na!

6:58 pm, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Why? Pray tell.

8:31 am, April 07, 2005  
Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

I was right. The comments were more interesting than the post. You can now find me in Delhi Haat telling people their futures.

Also, the poor behaviour by both these people would not have become known to so many others if you hadn't linked the post. There are other ways to prove your point.

5:43 pm, April 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I

6:33 pm, April 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally think you're too full of yourself, too judgemental and seek attention at the cost of others. Tipsy Topsy's right, there are other ways to prove your point.

Also, if two people wish to slug it out I hardly think its your place to act as judge. Even if you had a part to play in 'resolving' the impasse you have no business to write a post on it and thereby possibly embarrass them further.You owe both of them an apology.

6:34 pm, April 08, 2005  
Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

It should have been future and not futures. Makes me sound like a stock broker rather than a fortune teller.

5:51 am, April 09, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Think what you want, people. Think what you want.

2:28 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:47 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Very lame Manu, expected a better defence/comeback/reply.

6:49 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger Aseem said...

What, thats it??
THAT is your comeback???
What in god's name happened to the 'Oh, I'm so competitive' spirit you boast of??

sheesh.

7:20 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Rohan and Aseem, it was not a comeback/defence/whatever. It was a simple statement. I don't really care about what Mr. Vishal thinks. He seems to have stumbled on my blog rather abruptly, and he seems to have already formed a rather negative image of me. Yet he had the nerve to call me judgemental. He also left a comment that has only the word 'I' in it, and then he proceeded to accuse me of being too full of myself.

Mr. Vishal, I have only one advice for you. Practice what you preach.

7:48 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:03 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Don't be pedantic Manu, I repeat a statement in reply of something qualifies as a reply. You shouldn't let your ego get in the way of admitting that that was lame. Mr. Vishal can defend himself but me thinks he doesn't require much defending to do with regard to your last comment/'statement' atleast. Anyway your Bus Music post is simply hilarious. Nice to see you getting back into the groove of posting humourous posts.

8:06 pm, April 09, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Thank you, Rohan?

8:50 am, April 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home