Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I win!

It's been a very long time since I wrote. A lot has happened during this very long time. I will, for the sake of adhering to some kind of word-limit, skip my customary useless introduction, and come straight to the point. The following are the major events in my life that took place in the last few days.

For the first time at IIT, I sat in the first row during a lecture class. Why I did this, I do not know. However, I do know that I did do it, and got the scare of my life. Sitting in the front row of a lecture theatre is definitely one of the scariest things I have done as yet at IIT. Here at IIT, the lecture theatres are designed in such a way that, moving from the front to the back, each row is a bit higher than the previous one. Sitting in the front row is completely alright, until you make the grim mistake of looking back, a mistake that is fraught with much danger, because when you do look back, you see about 70-80 grave-looking IITans looking back down at you, and the sight is enough to cause a temporary loss of sanity in even the most strong-minded.

For the first time (lots of firsts for me in the past few days) since the beginning of the series, I missed an episode of Koffee with Karan. I am sure that at this point of time, all of you must be thinking why I regularly watch such a worthless show as Koffee with Karan (I can almost hear Aseem Suri, my good friend, saying, "Loserly... Very Loserly"). You must be contemplating why I, a more-or-less sane sounding individual, religiously follows the mindless series. To you, I would say that I watch it because I enjoy it, and to Aseem, I would say that 'loserly' is not a proper English word. So think what you want, but I, for one, shall continue watching Koffee with Karan. I missed this particular show only because I had gone to watch 'The Aviator'. The fact that the guests on the episode I missed were fat actresses from 'Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' (Because Mother-in-law was also sometime Daughter-in-law) mitigates my unhappiness partially, but not completely.

In a very significant development, my PHL 120 professor, came to know about my blogging activities. This means that he also came to know about the post whose link has been provided in the previous sentence. This also means that I may be in deep-shit. Thankfully for me, my PHL 120 professor is one of the few professors I have encountered at IIT who is capable of taking a joke (You do realize that with him monitoring this space, I can only write good things about him, don't you?), and I am hoping that he takes the entire post in good humour. I know it is a bit too much to ask, but hoping is not against the law, is it? And while I am on the subject of my PHL 120 professor, I must point out that he is an amazing teacher, and knows his subject very, very well (read sentence in parentheses again). On the whole, I am not too worried about him knowing about my blog. I am just scared that with him onto it, it might just be a matter of time before some of my other professors jump on the band-wagon. And I shudder to think what would be the outcome of my MEL 120 professor coming across my blog.
By the way, before you start getting all clicky, let me point out that all the three links on my PHL 120 professor (make it all the four) take you to the same blog-post.

Besides that, I participated in a very nice quiz yesterday at IIT. It was a non-comp (non-competitive) quiz, which means that I could team up with people from other hostels. I teamed up with Shashwat Sehgal and Rohan Trivedi, both second-yearites from Aravalli. We named our team after a musical instrument (which, incidentally, does not mean 'flea' in Hawaiian), and had a considerably good time. I, for a change, actually managed to answer some questions correctly, inspite of Mr. Trivedi's heroic efforts.

My bad experiences with bus-conductors continue unabated. Another chapter was added to this now-famous saga when I had a minor altercation with one of them on my way to Reliance Web-World. In short it occurred thus.
I was to walk to Reliance Web-World, South Extension, Part II, which is just one bus-stop away from AIIMS, with Mr. Karan Misra. Due to certain unavoidable circumstances, Mr. Misra got a head-start on me, and I, wanting to catch up with him, prevailed over prudence, and inspite of my recent unfortunate experiences with buses, decided to take one. On boarding the bus, I discovered I had no change, and I therefore told the conductor to take me to R.K. Puram. Now all of you who are even faintly familiar with Delhi's Geography would know that R.K. Puram from AIIMS is in exactly the opposite direction as South-Ex from AIIMS. The conductor told me so, and I, after pretending to look surprised (and overdoing it, I think) said, "Theek hain. Phir next bus-stop par utar jaoonga."(Okay, then I'll get off at the next bus-stop.) To say that the conductor saw right through me would be giving him too much credit. But I am quite sure he had a faint idea of what I was up to. This resulted in the afore-mentioned altercation. He asked me for the fare, and I firmly refused. In the end, I satisfactorily note here, I did not have to part with my well-earned two rupees.

My good friend, Mr. Mayank Gupta, recently said something that made infinite sense. When I asked him what was wrong with my
CSL 102 assignment program, he had an answer ready. "Manu", he said profoundly, "You have got problems." Just like Mayank to come up with the undeniable truths of life.

Before I go, I will recount to you what my good friend Rohan Trivedi told me a few days ago. "Do you realize," he said, "that if Lara Dutta were to marry Brian Lara, she would be known as Lara Lara."
Made me almost wish that she does end up marrying him.

14 Comments:

Blogger The Reader said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:59 pm, April 13, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:00 pm, April 13, 2005  
Blogger The Reader said...

Hee. Deleting comments is fun :)
Oh k, getting back to serious talk types now.
Yes, considering that Rohan has told you who I am, it is imperative that you do not spread the word.
I know this is slightly random a request. Aidoneus (which I hope you would have googled for by now) is another name for Hades, the Greek god of the underworld. Meanwhile, if you do come across my blog, please do not publicise it. I don't exactly intend to maintain it as a 'blog', anyway. Will tell you what are the ramifications of most of these statements are the next time I see you.
Have fun.

3:03 pm, April 13, 2005  
Blogger Akhil said...

Yeah, and if Brooke Shields married Ruskin Bond, she'll be Brooke Bond.

The above statement was originally from Ruskin bond, one can find it in wikiquote.

4:37 pm, April 13, 2005  
Blogger Tipsy Topsy said...

I think the incident should feature in the conductor's blog as a bad experience with a passenger rather than in yours!

Btw, a bus plying on the Ring Road would have change for Rs.500 also! :P

6:48 pm, April 13, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

On phl120, I hate to do the i-told-you-so-routine but I did warn you about IIT profesors being computer literate. By the way that was a really well done not so subtle attempt at flattery ;).

On quizzing,yes Manu you are right, you were the 'Star B****' of the team.

On Lara Dutta, you forgot 'Bolo ta ra ta ra'.

7:38 pm, April 13, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Aidoneus, whatever you say.
Tipsy, the point is not whether the conductor had chhutta or not. The point is why should I pay to travel a distance I could have easily walked.
Rohan, if you open single-quotes, you close them.
B****.

6:53 pm, April 14, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

And 'i' is usually written in the upper-case.
Again, B****.

6:58 pm, April 14, 2005  
Blogger Smita said...

If Oprah Winfrey married Nikhil Chopra She'd be Oprah Chopra!

7:43 pm, April 14, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Manu, if you were not blinded by your pomposity you would realize that I HAVE closed all quotes.
Again, like always,
"You lie, you B****!!!".

2:51 pm, April 15, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Pomposity???

3:13 pm, April 17, 2005  
Blogger quagmire said...

Your lack of education doesn't concern me. Check the link out, you B****!!! http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pomposity

3:22 pm, April 17, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Checked it up. Don't bother.
Next time, use words that sound right.
B****.

3:22 pm, April 17, 2005  
Blogger Manu Saxena said...

Wow. Two comments at 7:52 PM.

3:25 pm, April 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home